Previous Page Breadcrumbs
One Day Fish Cookery Class at Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River CottageCode: PRCCF1 Devon - Axminster 1 person
Product ImagesDouble tap to zoom Play Video
One Day Fish Cookery Class at Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage
Add to Basket
Head to the famous River Cottage HQ for a fascinating one-day course in creating delicious fish and seafood dishes, before enjoying the fruits of your labour with a delicious supper.
Drawing on the professional experiences and sustainable fishing ethos of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and his talented team, you’ll learn how to get the most from your fish, including techniques such as gutting, filleting, smoking and dealing with shellfish.
You’ll get hands-on with fresh seasonal ingredients to prepare a range of simple, delicious dishes. There’ll be plenty of chances to sample your cooking as you go along – just make sure to save room for the three-course meal at the end! You’ll finish the day bursting with fresh ideas, full of confidence in your new skills and ready to create delicious dishes in your own kitchen.
- One-day fish cookery class taught by expert River Cottage tutors
- Learn a wide range of seafood and fish preparation and cooking techniques
- Appreciate seasonal ingredients and learn more about sustainable fishing
- Delicious refreshments on arrival and a three-course meal at the end of the course
- Tractor ride from the car park to the farm and back
- Experience gift pack including personalised voucher and message card
What happens on the day?
On the morning of your fish cookery class you will arrive at the famous River Cottage site from where you will be driven by tractor to the cookery school. Meet your River Cottage hosts and tutor and enjoy some tasty snacks served with tea or coffee.
During the course of the day you’ll take part in several practical cooking sessions and watch demonstrations by your tutor who will show you a variety of skills that you will be able to put to good use at home. The fish you prepare and the skills you learn will vary according to the season but are likely to include dispatching and preparing shellfish such as freshly caught Lyme Bay crab, filleting and stuffing a mackerel or similar, hot-smoking, preparing scallops or other bi-valve shellfish, preparing Ceviche - a River Cottage favourite - and finally cooking up a three-course meal that you’ll enjoy with your fellow chefs at the end of the experience.
- Minimum age: 12 (under 16s must be accompanied by an adult)
- The terrain is rough in places, as it is a farm but disabled access is possible
- On occasion cookery schools will use equipment that includes induction hobs. It is recommended that people with pace makers should not work on these units. If you are concerned or would like to check whether or not induction hobs will be used in the class you are interested in, please do ask when making your booking
- It is with regret that this course is not suitable for those with a wheat or gluten intolerance or allergy
- Please note: Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall will not be attending this course, however you will be taught by his talented chefs
- The experience content, equipment used and restrictions may vary
Courses run on selected dates throughout the year (normally two dates per month).
We recommend you book at least twelve weeks in advance to ensure that dates are available. All bookings are subject to availability.
Please allow up to 7 hours for the whole experience. Courses start at 10.00 and end at approximately 17.00. Please aim to be at River Cottage HQ just before 09.30.
What about insurance?
The centres contracted with us hold public liability insurance. We also hold contingency liability cover. You will not be liable for accidental damage to equipment, except where damage has been caused as a result of recklessness or wilful negligence.
A cancellation indemnity, subject to terms, is included with every voucher.
How it works
All you have to do is pay for the experience you wish to purchase and we’ll send a voucher and booking information to you or directly to the recipient, then you just need to check the info and book your experience.
Packaging and Delivery
Please see the following page for information on our packaging and delivery.
All images shown are for illustration purpose only, actual product may vary from images shown.
Add to Basket
Devon - Axminster
Please note some locations indicated on the map may not be completely accurate and should not be used when planning directions.