Previous Page Breadcrumbs
One Day Bread Making Class at Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River CottageCode: PRCCB1 Devon - Axminster 1 person
Product ImagesDouble tap to zoom Play Video
One Day Bread Making Class at Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage
Add to Basket
Discover the art of perfect bread-making with this one-day class at Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s famous River Cottage cookery school.
Join Hugh’s talented team of bakers for a fantastic hands-on experience making a variety of dough, from focaccia, flatbreads to sourdough and soda bread. After welcome teas, coffees and snacks, you’ll roll up your sleeves and get stuck into measuring, mixing and kneading, picking up fascinating facts along the way. You’ll even nurture your own wild yeast starter to take home!
Tuck into a lunch of home-made pizzas, topped with seasonal ingredients sourced locally. Enjoy the opportunity to chat to your hosts with a Q&A session, before catching a lift back up the hill on the trailer of the River Cottage tractor – a great day full of baking tips and deliciousness!
- A one-day bread-making course at The River Cottage cookery school
- Discover how to cultivate your own wild yeast starter
- Make a range of different breads and enjoy a Q&A session with your tutor
- Enjoy refreshments on arrival, a light lunch, and tea or coffee during the day
- Tractor ride from the car park to the farm and back
- Experience gift pack including personalised voucher and message card
What happens on the day?
On the morning of your bread-making course you’ll be given a tractor ride down to the famous River Cottage farm where you’ll meet your hosts and tutors for the day. Enjoy a cup of tea or coffee and a tasty snack before getting stuck into the basics of bread-making - including getting to know the essential ingredients and learning how to measure, mix and knead your dough.
Over the course of the day you’ll take part in a number of practical bread-making sessions and watch demonstrations by your tutor. You’ll enjoy a light lunch of pizzas - bases created by yourself and delicious toppings made from local seasonal ingredients - and additional tea and coffee. Learn how to create and nurture your own yeast and pick up lots of great baking tips throughout the day. The breads you make will vary from course to course but could include focaccia, sour dough, frying pan breads, soda bread and more.
- Minimum age: 12 (under 16s must be accompanied by an adult)
- The terrain is rough in places, as it is a farm but disabled access is possible
- On occasion cookery schools will use equipment that includes induction hobs. It is recommended that people with pace makers should not work on these units. If you are concerned or would like to check whether or not induction hobs will be used in the class you are interested in, please do ask when making your booking
- It is with regret that this course is not suitable for those with a wheat or gluten intolerance or allergy
- Please note: Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall will not be attending this course, however you will be taught by his talented chefs
- The experience content, equipment used and restrictions may vary
Courses run on selected dates throughout the year (normally two dates per month).
We recommend you book at least 12 weeks in advance to ensure that dates are available. All bookings are subject to availability.
Please allow up to 7 hours for the whole experience. Courses start at 10.00 and end at approximately 15.00. Please aim to be at River Cottage HQ just before 09.30.
What about insurance?
The centres contracted with us hold public liability insurance. We also hold contingency liability cover. You will not be liable for accidental damage to equipment, except where damage has been caused as a result of recklessness or wilful negligence.
A cancellation indemnity, subject to terms, is included with every voucher.
How it works
All you have to do is pay for the experience you wish to purchase and we’ll send a voucher and booking information to you or directly to the recipient, then you just need to check the info and book your experience.
Packaging and Delivery
Please see the following page for information on our packaging and delivery.
All images shown are for illustration purpose only, actual product may vary from images shown.
Add to Basket
Devon - Axminster
Please note some locations indicated on the map may not be completely accurate and should not be used when planning directions.
- One Day Fish Cookery Class at Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage£240.00
- One Day Cookery School at Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage£240.00
- A Day in Amalfi Cookery Class with Giancarlo Caldesi at La Cucina Caldesi£160.00
- Sunday Farmers Market Tour and Cookery Class at La Cucina Caldesi£120.00